X, formerly known as Twitter, stands as one of the most widely embraced social media platforms in the nation. It provides users with a dynamic space to stay abreast of the latest news and global trends. Furthermore, X facilitates the establishment of online communities and networks. In Kenya, X plays an essential role in the dissemination and verification of breaking news stories.
Within this article, we will introduce some of the most prominent Kenyan media personalities who have garnered substantial followings on X:
- Larry Madowo Larry Madowo, an esteemed CNN international correspondent, stands as the most influential media personality on X within the country. He embarked on his journey on the platform in May 2009 and, as of October 2023, boasts a staggering 2.5 million followers. Madowo, known for his versatility, follows 2,271 accounts, sharing an array of content, from news updates to lighthearted personal anecdotes.
- Jeff Koinange Jeff Koinange, a prominent journalist from Citizen TV, commands a considerable audience of 2.3 million followers on X. He initiated his presence on the platform in January 2011 and maintains an eye on 1,985 accounts. Koinange utilizes his platform not only to disseminate new content but also to support various client campaigns.
- Mohammed Ali (Moha Jicho Pevu) Mohammed Ali, widely recognized for his investigative work during his tenure at Standard Media Group, holds a substantial following of 1.5 million on X. His account was created in June 2010, and he maintains a modest 52 accounts that he follows. In recent times, Mohammed Ali has transitioned into the political arena, currently serving as the Member of Parliament for Nyali constituency. Prior to his political involvement, he was celebrated for his groundbreaking investigative series, earning him the moniker ‘Jicho Pevu.’
- Julie Gichuru Julie Gichuru, a seasoned journalist, stands as the fourth most followed media personality on X in Kenya, boasting 1.3 million followers. She established her presence on the platform in December 2010 and keeps an eye on 1,880 accounts. Gichuru’s account serves as a platform for sharing and promoting news content.
- Betty Kyallo Formerly affiliated with KTN and K24 TV, Betty Kyallo has amassed an impressive following of 1.2 million followers on X as of October 2023. Her X journey commenced in October 2009, and she tracks 759 accounts. Kyallo actively engages with her followers and utilizes her platform to promote various brands, including her salons and other business ventures.
Beyond these five prominent figures, there are other noteworthy mentions, including Dennis Itumbi, Robert Alai, and Boniface Mwangi. While not journalists, these individuals share close ties to the media industry. Itumbi and Alai have made their mark as bloggers, while Mwangi is recognized as a photographer and human rights activist. Itumbi boasts over 2.2 million followers, Alai has amassed a following of over 1.9 million, and Mwangi enjoys a substantial following of 1.8 million. Itumbi and Alai have transitioned into the political realm, using their X accounts to advocate for their political agendas, while Mwangi leverages his platform for activism and personal business endeavors.