Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua visits Juja OCS who was arrow attacked by chang’aa brewers

Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has emphasized the ongoing commitment to combatting the proliferation of illicit alcohol and drugs, issuing a stern warning to dealers that there will be no respite for their activities.

The Deputy President made these remarks following his visit to Juja Police Station Commander John Misoi at Avenue Hospital in Thika, Kiambu County. Commander Misoi had been hospitalized after being shot with an arrow by chang’aa brewers during a raid on Easter Monday.

Gachagua reiterated the full support of the government for law enforcement officers spearheading the fight against illicit substances, ensuring the effective implementation of directives aimed at addressing this menace.

Accompanied by Kiambu Senator Karungo wa Thang’wah and Juja MP George Koimburi, Gachagua’s visit coincided with the arraignment of one suspect in court in connection with the attack, who was subsequently remanded.

Additionally, the Deputy President assured security personnel involved in the crackdown that the government would safeguard them and stand firmly behind them in the battle against harmful liquor and drugs.

Gachagua also highlighted the ongoing efforts to reform the police force, mentioning the forthcoming improvements in their terms of service starting from July of the current year.

In a Thika courtroom, Peter Karanja was detained pending further investigations into the attack on the OCS, providing the police with sufficient time to conclude their inquiries.

The OCS, currently recuperating from arrow wounds sustained during a police operation targeting illicit brews and drugs in Gachororo village, Juja sub-county, on March 31, suffered injuries to his right leg with an arrow lodged in his knee. According to Dr. Linet Karanja, the hospital manager, the arrowhead was successfully removed, and the patient’s condition was improving, with discharge expected the following day.

During his appearance before Thika Chief Magistrate Philip Mutua, Karanja’s detention for ten days was granted upon application by the prosecution and Investigating Officer David Gacheru. Gacheru informed the court that the injured officer had not yet provided a statement, and they awaited a medical report to complete the necessary paperwork.

Chief Magistrate Philip Mutua acknowledged the public interest in the matter, given the attack on the officer in the line of duty, and granted the application for detention, allowing visitation rights for relatives or legal representation.

The case is scheduled for mention on April 11, 2024.